Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Weary Peregrino

Friday morning I woke up at Scott's farm halfway between Algoma and Casco and picked some fresh strawberries - not a bad way to start your morning! I figured Scott was an OK guy because when I met him, he was wearing a "thanks for the memories Brent" shirt. Classy. I trucked along to Casco arriving before 9, an hour before the fireman's cookout started. I guess I didn't time that too well. Shortly thereafter, I completed my run on the Ahnapee Trail. Thank God. The only redeeming point of the trail is the plethora of honeysuckle berries. Mmmmm! Also, I don't think I've ever seen ant hills as large as the ones along the Ahnapee. They are huge!
From there I started my road walk! I actually enjoyed the road walking more than walking the Ahnapee. The roads are divided into even grids so its easy to chart your progress, plus there are unincorporated towns (unincorporated is Latin for one church, one bar and nothing else). Another reason I liked the road walks is that its harder to show pain in public. There are small towns you walk through and more traffic, but if you're on a back road it would be easier to show pain and pout, moan and whine. The busier roads makes you be a little tougher, more stoic.

Walking along the road with a hint of rain in the air, I took pleasure watching the going-ons of everyday life. The farmers hurrying up to get the hay in or running the combine, people mowing their lawns, another guy fixing a door. Life keeps trucking along, but sometimes a forecast of rain can sure make it switch gears.

The tallest buildings in the country are usually churches. You can see them for miles away even with the rolling hills. I spotted the spire of a church in the distance and began having a conversation with the priest in my head (yes, I'm crazy). We had a good talk and I was ready to speak when I arrived. I walked in and the priest was standing there and I say "Father, could you spare some water for a weary peregrino?" "Of course my son" he answered. "How about a place to rest my tired feet?" I asked. "Right over here," he motioned. This of course never occurred because there was no one in the church when I walked in. I was a little bummed because I wanted to call myself a weary peregrino to ask for water. Then again, it was a Lutheran church and they probably would have kicked me out without any water.

I made a stop at Janda's Bar in Ellisville for a PBR (which should stand for Power-Boost Refueler). They had History Channel's Modern Marvels on the TV and the episode was on cheese! Did you know the original mozzarella came from Asian Water Buffaloes? Or that Mozzarella is the number 1 cheese in America? Also, 90% of milk is wasted in the making of cheese. Fascinating stuff.

I moseyed another 4 miles down to Stangelville, another unincorporated town! Sure enough, one bar and one church. I rounded the corner of the bar and encountered a lady outside having a smoke. We talked for a bit and she offered to buy me a beer. Turned out I was talking to Teri who owned the Flip of the Coin Bar. I like when things work out that way. Soon enough they were having me pick out songs on the jukebox. Its harder to pick songs when you are in a small town bar where most folks enjoy country, but I was able to cobble together enough classic country (Merle, Waylon, Willie, Alabama) and classic rock to please the bar. The only disappointment was they a Ted Nugent CD in the juke, but it didn't have Stranglehold on it. How a bar in Stangelville doesnt have Stranglehold on the juke is beyond me. If I could wake up to Stranglehold everyday, I would be a better man. I had a great time with Teri, Dave and Chandra at the Flip of the Coin. They let me sleep out back. 3 nights on the trail, 2 of which were spent at a bar! I like small town bars. Give me a Flip of the Coin or Dew Drop Inn over a Brothers any day. Better people, better memories.
Dave, Me, Teri and Chandra

As I lay in my tent that night, I could hear the people talking about what I was doing so if one thing came out of my evening at the Flip of the Coin, its that they know a little bit more about the Ice Age Trail. If you ever happen to be passing through Stangelville, stop at the Flip of the Coin and enjoy a beer or two.

It rained most of Friday night and into Saturday morning. I had a crazy dream that if I saw happen would be one of the sweetest things ever. It involved a national trails convention and someone showing up late being pulled by a sled dog team (because there was snow right up to the meeting room of course). I wish my life were as interesting as my dreams! I packed up in the rain and headed out, my goal was to make it Point Beach State Forest. I have fond memories of the Point Beach MSC project in 2006 where we had a luau and Cliff's Bar No Grill. I think we should have another project over there, but this time do the beach party right and have a pig roast!

My feet were covered with blisters and leg muscles sore but all that was manageable. I had been bothered by a pain in my knee since I started but for the most part it didn't bother me too much. Saturday both knees started giving me fits making it hard to even amble when there was any grade at all. I made it the Kohnle section and rejoiced for it was the first real trail section since Potawatomi. That rejoicing ended pretty shortly. Winston Churchill once said "If you're going through hell, keep going," I believe he had the Kohnle section in mind when he said that.
It wasn't hell, but the armies of mosquitoes, and wading through knee high grass and 2 inches of water wasn't too pleasant. I stumbled into Tisch Mills with soaked boats and diminished spirits. I found a bench outside the local mercantile and tried to put the pieces back together. Dry socks were in my bag and the boots will dry out but walking up or down steps (or any elevation for that matter) was killing me. I think Animal from the MSC projects walks faster than me at this point. I decided I needed a couple days off to rest my knees. My brother came and picked me up so I'm at his place in Green Bay. I'm sure the IATA office pool of how far I'd make it is heating up about now! The vultures are circling but tomorrow I'm heading back out to give it another shot. Like Bill Pullman in Independence Day who never gave up hope. When their big plan to bring down the aliens defense shield failed at first, what did he do? He accelerated towards the spaceship saying "I want another shot at it." As you know from history, his next shot hit the ship thus, saving the world. I may not be saving the world, but I do love Independence Day (the movie and holiday). I'll try to shake off the pain and continue my journey!

2 comments:

  1. Dave! Keep up the good work and good luck on your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T BE A WUSS DAVE! KEEP GOING!

    "The willow knows what the storm does not: that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it."
    - Blood of the Martyr

    ReplyDelete