Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Quixotic Odyssey Continues!

Aug. 10
Pat offered up her house for another night so I thought I'd take advantage of that and pack very light and cover some miles through Hartland, Delafield and Lapham Peak! Yesterday was tough for me so I figured an "easy" day of 20 plus miles was in store. Where yesterday I felt like the Man from LaMancha (or LaMonches if you will), my quixotic (quixotic is my dream scrabble word. If I ever get to lay that I can retire a happy man) quest was replaced by a solid day with plenty of water and food. Funny how that improves the situation.

Heading into Hartland is a monster house which apparently Jason Kendall rented last year. That thing is massive! Through Hartland they have a really nice trail that follows the meanders of the Bark River. Waukesha County has a neat thing where they honor great conservationists with ties to Wisconsin. Aldo Leopold, John Muir and Increase Lapham are a few they honor. My favorite is John Wesley Powell who, they forgot to mention, was the first person to successfully navigate the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. Did I mention that guy had one arm!? A true man among boys. I got to Delafield with the heat blazing and humidity stifling, I felt like the two suns of Tatooine were shining down on me (where is my moisture vaporator when I need one?), and was looking for a lunch that included a beer. I stopped into a place called the Loaf and Jug which I immediately realized was not a place that had alcohol. There was an old couple by the door so I asked them where I could have a beer with my lunch in the area. They said the only place in the area was the Mexican place down the street. Mexican was not on my menu. I walked out of the restaurant and walked another 80 feet along the trail and came to the Wells Street Tavern. Apparently those rich-looking old folks were too snobbish to ever dream of eating at a tavern.

Wells Street Tavern had an impressive single malt scotch and irish whiskey selection, plus a menu that was to my liking. A Two Hearted Ale from Bell's was in store for me. I chuckled while I ordered that because the day before when Leah brought me to the bar, she said I could get whatever I wanted and she would buy. I of course ordered a PBR. Actually, when I order a PBR, I say Pabst because I dont seem to stutter as much on that one. Leah kind of looked at me in disbelief as she ordered her fancy import. Back to the present day. They had an appetizer at Wells that they almost got me to order. It was a hard-boiled egg, wrapped in sausage, hand breaded and then deep fried! That sounded amazing but I couldnt justify spending $6 on it. If I ever go back, I'll be sure to get one though!

The walk through Lapham Peak was quite nice. They have done a lot of work with the prairies there and the wildflowers were still blooming. I thought compass plants were done by now. I'll take it though! Lapham Peak is the highest point in Waukesha County and is named for Increase Lapham. Increase was a pretty interesting dude. He started taking all kinds of weather readings around the state, but focusing in the local area. He proposed a state weather service that was disregarded, so he redid his proposal and presented it to the Feds and the National Weather Service was born! The first NWS weather station was on Lapham Peak (then named Government Hill). People from Wisconsin have sure kicked ass over the years. There is a plaque at the top where they commemorate the renaming of the hill to Lapham Peak. The plaque calls Lapham an "eminent scientist and useful citizen." I hope someday I can be called either an eminent something or a useful citizen. Chances are pretty slim but that would make a great headstone!


I climbed to the top of the observation tower they have there and looked for miles and miles in all directions. Holy Hill lay in the distance, barely visible, and to think I was there only a couple days ago. I had hiked as far as I could see to the North, but to the South and West lay virgin trail. Lots of it. Having come over 200 miles so far makes this crazy dream of mine seem even more realistic. I'll be in Janesville in a few days and Madison in a week. The path lays in front of me, I just have to follow it. I think I'll be off the grid for the next few days. I start midway through the Waterville Segment on Wednesday, heading towards Jefferson and Walworth Counties. My streak of MSC friends has run out and the ones I do have will be heading up to Waushara County for the project this weekend. I guess I'm on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment