Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A lazy day in Point

Aug. 30
What a lazy day! My friend Tony headed back to his hometown of Watertown for the night so I lazed (I love the word lazed) around his house in Point while his roommates moved in. I met them last spring when I came up for the Point Bock Run. Tony, Brandon, Mike, Jeremy and non-roomie Kurt know how to party. To continue on the small world theme of late, Tony's roommate Brandon worked with my sister this summer. One thing about Point that really annoys me is people riding bikes refuse to ride on the streets and insist on riding on the sidewalks. Sidewalks are for people and streets are for bikes. It's not like there is a ton of traffic in Point. I almost felt like I was an annoyance to them because they had to slow down and go around me as I walked. Pretty lame.

The campus is abuzz with the incoming freshmen running around trying to figure everything out before the first day. I saw a couple girls this morning walking around finding all their classrooms. Freshmen. The returning students know better and wait for the last minute to get their books and everything else ready. You can always tell who the freshmen are because they walk around in large herds, vulnerable on their own, but safe within a herd. As they age and gain more confidence, they will break out on their own or into smaller pods and roam campus quieter.

Looking back over the last month, it doesn't feel like I've been drifting for that long, but I see how many miles my feet have covered and I stand in amazement. I've learned a lot and met many amazing people, all of that has prepared me for my expedition through the Northwoods. I'm going to need it all as the weather and seasons start their inexorable march towards another Wisconsin winter. There is no turning back now, only one way to go. Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment