Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Master Griller

Aug. 21
Brad was determined to get me on the road at a decent time and failed. I decided I was going to slack pack by dropping my pack off at Luke's house in Lodi. Slack packing is a great thing. Brad dropped me off by Hwy 12 and I got going at 9:30. I made pretty decent time getting to the Lodi Marsh. Right before I turned onto Lodi - Springfield road, I came across a pumpkin patch with some monster pumpkins. There were a few that I would have trouble rolling over. I entered the Lodi Marsh segment with high expectations knowing who takes care of it, but the first tree down across the trail squashed that ideal. The segment is quite beautiful with glimpses of what's to come through Columbia County, big valleys and hills. I waltzed into Lodi in search of a beer so I called Luke to see if he wanted to have a drink or two. He picked me up and we headed to a bar on the outskirts of town where we met his friend Chris. A bloody, snit, beer, order of cheese curds and a philly cheese steak later, I was ready to hit the road again. It took awhile to get my stomach in order after that impromptu meal. At the Lodi High School, they built a sweet bridge that is the largest structure built on the trail. It's pretty impressive. By the end of the day, I made it to the Merrimac Ferry after passing through the Murphy property which is where the October MSC project is. I've been helping with trail layout there so it was nice to see what Tim and Luke had been up to while I've been hiking. They didn't mess anything up too bad. There are some amazing views from the property looking across Lake Wisconsin towards Devil's Lake. That project is going to be awesome!

Luke picked me up and we headed back to his place for dinner. Luke and his wife Letha pulled out all the stops for dinner. Before we had the big meal, they laid out a great spread of fruit, bread, cheese and chips and salsa. I would have been content with that but more food was to come. We had beer can chicken, tenderloin, corn on the cob, grilled tomatoes and grilled eggplant. That was one of the best meals I've had in a long, long time and the best one I've had on my hike. I have had some great meals so far, but they all bow down to Luke and Letha's. I like to grill and think of myself as a decent griller, but Luke put me to shame with his bounty of perfectly cooked meats and veggies. I can only dream of attaining his skill of taming the flame.

I've had it pretty easy so far as I've only camped 7 times since the start of my journey, but that is about to change. My long run of friends along the trail has come to an end, leaving me to my own devices. My meals wont be as good and sleeping accommodations will not be as posh, but my hike will go on. I have a nice run the next week and a half before it gets real up in Langlade and Lincoln Counties. The untamed trail of the Northwoods awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment