Tuesday, July 27, 2010

King Tut Says Goodbye

Last night I was lucky enough to have Steve Martin throw me a going away party. What a nice guy! He was in EC with the Steep Canyon Rangers and played an awesome bluegrass show. Turns out that Steve Martin is actually funny. Steve won the grammy for best bluegrass album this year and it showed with his pickin' skills and original songs. The highlight may have been when they played the only non-original song "Orange Blossom Special" and the fiddler just dominated. I usually dont get too worked up about fiddlers not named Allie, but this guy can play!


Anyways, it was a sad, sad moment when I said goodbye to my grill. I'm not going to use him for a couple months which may be my longest streak since I started grilling. I felt like Bob and Doug McKenzie in Strange Brew when they are separated, with me being Doug and having a smart-ass thing to say as I walked away.
Thinking about all times I've started something and then failed to see it all the way through, makes me feel like I actually need to complete something. Completing the thru-hike would be a huge step for me to doing something with my life. I can wear out my welcome pretty quick when I'm staying on your couch (or as my friends move up in life, the guest bedroom), although I dont think I'll ever be too good to sleep on a couch! The only reason I havent worn out my welcome at MSC events (maybe I already have!) is there is always a rotating cadre of volunteers so most people only have to deal with me a few times a year. Everyone is rejoicing that they wont have to suffer through my jokes (but they'll still have to suffer through Randy's singing) and other ramblings for a couple months. Its pretty easy to ignore a blog! IATA staff wont have to worry about trail thats "close enough" and having to come behind me to clean up the mess.
This whole operation of mine may be a lot of shooting from the hip, but that worked pretty good for John Wayne so I think I'm in pretty good company. I'd like to thank everyone who has given advice and words of encourage the past few months, especially Luke and the MSCer's. I wouldnt be here without them. Just in case I do succumb to a bear attack or a fatal bout of lymes, I have a few requirements for my funeral. First, I want whatever money I have left over to go to having an open bar somewhere so everyone can have a last drink (or four) on me. I probably owe all of you a drink, except those of you who are cheap bastards who I'll let drink on my tab one last time. Second, I want Neil Diamond's "Dry your eyes" and "Hell Yeah" played at the funeral. Classic songs by the greatest musician ever. Lastly, Im not sure if funeral pyre's are legal these days but something involving a chimney starter and charcoal would be sweet. Happy thoughts!
Thanks again for all the support and perhaps I'll see you on the trail!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only failure is the failure to not try...things to think about during your journey, the best of bluegrass album and the best vegeterian meal with your long lost friend, the grill. You only have 2 months to come up with these things so start cramming now. Let me know if you need anything as I have been known to reach around for friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a guest bedroom...

    ReplyDelete