Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Great East Coast Road Trip Vol. Eleven


I woke up in the loft of the Gray Knob cabin in the White Mountains, Mt. Adams more specifically.  The wind howled through the night, bringing rain and sleet.  I wasn’t meeting Matt and his family until later that evening so I had time to spare.  The caretaker and I struck up a conversation again, carrying on from last night.  He got the weather report from Mt. Washington, just a few miles away, of 100 mile an hour winds.  I know Mt. Washington is home of the worst weather on Earth, but it’s another thing when you are in the midst of that weather.  The caretaker said the winds on Mt. Adams were probably only 90 mph and maybe 60 or 70 where we were, so nothing out of the ordinary (The highest recorded wind speed on Earth at a manned station was 231 mph on Mt. Washington in 1934).  I guess this was not the day to summit Mt. Adams, a thought that had crossed my mind.  The caretaker said he took trips to the summit most days when the weather cooperated.  I guess I’ll have to come back another time and give it a shot.



I didn’t start down the mountain until 2:30 that afternoon (I can be so damn putzy with someone to talk to).  I definitely want to go back someday and stay at the Gray Knob cabin again.  The caretaker said it’s actually fairly out of the ordinary to have no hikers staying at the cabin.  He also enjoys when people bring up beer for him to drink!  I’ll make sure to do that next time.


The snowpack had turned to 8 inches of slush, not giving my feet a chance to stay dry.  I found another stick to serve as my hiking companion and headed towards Crag Camp.  Speckles of rain would blow in from time to time, along with passing wisps of clouds, enclosing my path from the rest of the world.  Less than a mile later, the trail opened up to Crag Camp.  The blowing clouds opened up for a few seconds to reveal the view of the valley below.  The guy in Maine was right, this was a perfect spot to watch the sunrise.  I moseyed into the cabin to check out the accommodations; a large open room with a wall of windows looking east filled with benches, tables and a stack of board games and puzzles in the corner, and two smaller rooms crammed with bunk beds.  I’d like to check this out in warmer days.

Crag Camp
The view from Crag Camp looking east
The descent was more difficult than the ascent because everything was more slippery after the rain.  I slipped off a rock while crossing a brook, soaking my foot, but causing no other damage.  It was slow going, but eventually I made it back to my car.  I looked back up the mountain and thought about how awesome of a mini-adventure that was.


I found a yellow blaze! (it's up on the right side)
After taking off my wet shoes and socks and putting dry ones on, I loaded everything into my car and took off towards Wolfeboro and Lake Winnipesaukee.  It was getting dark and I couldn’t see the mountains so I concentrated on the road ahead.  In our conversation about local beer, the caretaker gave directions to the liquor store with the best selection around and I stopped in to take a look myself.  I wanted to get Matt a 6er of good Wisconsin beer if I could find it for all the help he had provided on my journey.  Needless to say, I was underwhelmed by the Wisconsin selection.  There were a few flavors of Leinie’s, but I wasn’t about to pass Berry Weiss and Sunset Wheat off as good beer from Wisconsin (or any state for that matter).  The only other choice I had was two varieties from Hinterland Brewing out of Green Bay.  I liked what I’ve had from them, but these were new ones to me (their Winterland and Maple Bock are quite tasty).  I went with the Luna Coffee Stout and hoped for the best.

An hour later, I arrived at Matt’s house out in the middle of nowhere.  Matt welcomed me in and offered up a beer.  His wife was out running errands and picking up their daughter from school.  He gave me the tour and started getting dinner ready.  A big ol’ pot of Jambalaya was on the menu!  I caught him up my travels since I last saw him a week earlier and he talked about some great music he’d seen in the area.  His wife Jess and daughter Sam showed up later and we sat down to eat.  I’m not sure what Matt’s family thought of me, a bedraggled bum from the woods who was drinking their beer and making himself at home.  We finished dinner and moved onto ice cream.  I didn’t really need the ice cream, but who am I to pass up food?  Sam had homework to do so she excused herself, leaving Matt, Jess and myself to talk away the evening.  I’m always a talker and up to retell my stories and they were willing to listen. 

Matt and Jess had to get up early the next morning, but they were going to let me stay as long as I wanted, even another night perhaps.  The kindness of strangers to open up their house and allow me free reign when they aren’t around to supervise, is humbling.  I love it!  The chance encounters we have can lead to truly wonderful outcomes if you allow yourself to trust a fellow stranger.  I’m not saying trust everyone, there are some bad apples out there, but spending time talking to locals on the road, you get a feeling of who the good people are.  Matt had a beard and was a fan of Cornmeal and that’s enough in my book to trust him.  That trust and belief in the goodness of people led to a far richer road trip for me.  Matt’s good people.  We’re all strangers at some point of our lives; sometimes a few words can turn a stranger into a friend.  I fell asleep with a full belly, glad to have met Matt and his family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment